Using Your Fireplace Safely
SERVPRO Fireplace Safety Tips!
It is nearing that time of year here in Plumas County when settling in with a cup o’ joe, a good book, and a blazing fireplace is heavenly.
But before you can even think about lighting up that fire after a year of waiting, take a look at these 12 safety tips to prevent damage to your home.
- Aim to minimize the buildup of soot and creosote.
Minimize the buildup of soot and creosote (which can cause chimney fires) by using seasoned hardwood or manufactured logs. Manufactured logs burn even cleaner than real wood.
- Understand that manufactured logs burn hotter than wood.
If you do use manufactured logs in your fireplace instead of wood, be sure to follow the directions on the bag for lighting and use. These logs burn hotter than regular wood, and can potentially warp metal chimneys if you burn more than one log at a time.
- Burn only wood or manufactured logs in the fireplace.
Only burn wood or manufactured logs in your fireplace, as some items - including wrapping paper and foam peanuts - release toxic fumes. And never burn Christmas greenery in the fireplace.
- Beware the roaring fire - it looks attractive but it can crack the chimney.
Though a roaring fire in the fireplace looks attractive, it's really not as safe as a more controlled burn. Just a couple of logs at a time, please.
And a too-hot fire can crack your chimney - necessitating an expensive chimney repair.
- Stack fireplace logs near the back of the hearth.
Ensure fireplace logs - whether wood or manufactures - are stacked as far as possible to the back of the fireplace. This will help ensure sparks and embers don't spark out of the fireplace and into your carpet.
- Open the damper before you light your fire.
Open the damper before you light a fire in your fireplace, and keep the damper open until the fire is completely extinguished.
- Open fireplace doors.
Open the fireplace doors (if your fireplace has them) and use a fireplace screen when you've got the fire crackling.
- Keep the area around the fireplace clear.
Don't position your Christmas tree - or anything else - near the fireplace. Should embers spark out of the fireplace and into the room, you want to make sure there is nothing nearby that will catch fire.
- Don't leave a fire unattended.
For safety's sake, never leave a fire unattended. And yes, this means you shouldn't go to sleep with a fire blazing away.
- Open a window when you light a fire.
Fires require about five times as much oxygen as a room usually needs. To make sure there's enough oxygen for the fire to burn efficiently, open a window when you light a fire.
- Keep the fireplace mantel clear of hanging decorations.
If you drape your fireplace mantel with garlands or hang stockings or cards from it, don't light a fire. These flammable items are too close for comfort.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Stash a fire extinguisher near the fireplace so that it's handy - just in case.
If a fire damage should occur in your home, trust your local professionals at SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor.
Did you know SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is a full service restoration company?
Give us a call today- (530)899-9141
License #: 1013416