Commercial Power Outage Tips
Protect your building and your employees during a power outage!
Although power outages can be minor they can cause enormous problems for businesses. With nasty weather the threat of power outages increase. Being without power in a commercial building can be dangerous.
Here are some steps on how to prepare for power outages without having several losses.
1) Prepare an Emergency Kit.
It is important that in the event of a power outage that the people inside of the commercial property are taken care of. Keep an emergency kit with the essentials so they have what they need to be safe and secure even in your absence.
2) Back up Your Data.
It is important for you to protect your digital data that you need to keep your business up and running. Ensure that you regularly back up your data so that in the event of a power outage you minimize any damage to your records.
4) Keep a Backup Generator
In the event of a minor power outage a back up generator can be enough to temporarily give you the power you need until it is restored.
Keep your building and all who are there safe.
If you have any questions on how to get an Emergency Readiness profile made for you at absolutely no cost, call SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor today to make an appointment.
Water Damaged Carpet-Can it be Saved?
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is faster to any disaster!
After a water damage has affected your home the first step is to make sure the cause of the loss has been stopped to avoid any further damages. The next step is to stop the water from spreading any further into the unaffected areas of your home. SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor staff are faster to any disaster and we will be onsite to help you with initial emergency services immediately.
After the water has been extracted from the carpet our technicians will look for the damage to your carpet. A common problem with water damaged carpet is that if it is not dried quickly there will be delamination and possible mold growth. A way to tell that carpet is delaminating is by looking at the carpet backing and seeing if the latex adhesive on the backing looks sound or if there are signs of mold or if it is peeling off.
Delamination is the separation of the secondary backing from the primary backing of the carpet. If the carpet and secondary backing are not attached strongly enough they can separate and cause installed carpet to wrinkle.
If the water damage cause came from a grossly contaminated source, the carpet cannot be saved and it will be considered a Category 3 Water Damage. Grossly contaminated sources include, but are not limited to, storm water, sewer backups, toilet overflow with feces, and stagnant liquid that has begun to support bacterial growth. Category 3 exposure may cause severe illness or even death if ingested.
Did you know SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor staff are IICRC Certified in Water Damage Restoration?
We are also a Full Service Restoratioin Company available 365 days a year to respond to any of your water damage needs.
License #: 1013416
Tornado Safety Tips- Before, During and After
Between 1950 and 2013, there were 403 confirmed tornadoes in California, coming out to an average of around 6 or 7 tornadoes per year.
Fortunately, tornado emergencies are not common in the Butte County and Plumas County areas. But that is all the more reason to be prepared in the event that there is one. Tornadoes can occur at any time of the year both day and night and it is important to be ready for it.
Here are some safety tips that can and should be taken before the tornado hits.
1)Be Prepared- Tornadoes can strike at any time without warning. Make sure your family knows the plan of action in the case of a tornado warning being issued for the community. Make time to consider discussing the best places to take shelter, the different between watches and warnings, and the emergency safety kit.
2) Practice, Practice, Practice!- Make sure to practice your emergency readiness plan in the event of a storm. If you do not practice your plan there is the possibility of panic and injury.
3) Protect Important Information- Consider storing important information such as insurance information, loan/mortgage papers, and medical information.
Families should not just be prepared before the storm but during the event as well. Here are some safety tips that should be taken during the tornado emergency.
1) Take Shelter- Seek shelter in a safe, contained, area. Protect yourself by crawling underneath a sturdy object for protection against falling debris. Examples of safe rooms are a basement, closet, or bathroom.
2) Do Not Drive- In the event that you are driving when the tornado begins stop and seek shelter immediately. Do not attempt to race the storm.
3) If you live in a dorm or an apartment building seek shelter at the lowest place you have access to. Use stairwells only and avoid using the elevator.
The dangers still do not cease even after a storm has passed through. Here are some tips that should be taken even after the storm has passed.
1) If you are away from your home, try to return safely. Stay updated on weather and hazard reports from the news.
2) If your home has been damaged, do not enter until given the authorization from local authorities. When you are given that authorization, first turn off your utilities to avoid further damage.
3) Do not consume water or food that has been damaged by the storm.
Remember to contact your family and your friends after the storm to ensure their safety as well.
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor understands the trials and devastation that a storm brings and we are here to help bring your home back to life after it has been damaged by a storm.
Practicing Fire Safety Tips
Did you know SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is a 24 Hour, 365 days a year, emergency service company here to help you?
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor encourages all families and members of this community to practice these safety tips in order to prevent damage to your home or business and personal injury.
1) Watch carefully when cooking. Although the saying of "A watched pot never boils" seems accurate, it is definitely not safe to leave your cooking unattended to. Especially if you are using the stove, oven, or a fryer. Make sure you keep a close eye on what you're doing and keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of accidents.
2) Don't use space heaters in a cramped space. Make sure you give heaters space by separating it at least 3 feet from anything that is flammable.
3) Smoke outside. The ashes from smoking are still extremely hot and can be a major fire hazard. Make sure you never smoke in bed or in an area with many flammable items.
4) Inspect electrical cords frequently. Do not use damaged cords or damaged electronics. These items are at risk for causing both a shock and fire hazard.
5) Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
6) Have a fire escape plan. See our blog information on how to make an effective fire damage evacuation plan.
7) Don't leave a candle unattended. This is one of the most common sources for a fire damage in homes.
8) Test smoke alarms regularly. If you do not have one installed, reach out to the local fire department for information on proper installation.
Be fire safe and make sure to keep your family involved to keep them safe as well!
Water Damage to Your Electronic Devices
Sometimes electronic devices cannot be saved. SERVPRO staff will be honest with you from day one if the devices are no longer safe to use.
After having a water damage in your home there are a lot of things to consider and to take care of. Handling it alone can be extremely difficult and that is why SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is here to help you when your life gets turned upside down. Should your electronic devices be damaged after a water damage call SERVPRO to bring them back to preloss condition.
Water damaged electronics can be a serious hazard and can easily compromise the safety of your home Do not attempt to turn on or operate any electrical devices that could have been affected by the water during the damage. Attempting to use these damaged devices may put you in serious risk of a shock related injury. SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor will coordinate the restoration of electronics such as television sets, DVD players, computers, and more.
The key to restoring electronics is by taking prompt action to prevent further damage. Leaving affected contents to sit with water damage risks the change of having them be inoperable and they have the chance of having mold. We start by cleaning the exterior of the electronic devices to help stop spread further corrosion and damage. The electronics will then be cleaned and inspected by a qualified electronic technician.
Going through a water damage alone is difficult. Trust SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor to be there for you from day one until you are back in your home.
SERVPRO Tips for a Storm Safety Kit
The American Red Cross sells already prepared Emergency Safety Kits for every emergency possible!
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor encourages everyone to be knowledgeable about storm safety so you can stay safe and be prepared as much as possible.
We have generated a list of items needed in the event of a storm emergency. It is important to keep your Storm Safety Kit accessible and filled throughout the year!
A proper safety kit should include the following:
- A Landline telephone that does not require electric operation and will work in the event of a power outage
- A battery operated radio to stay as updated as possible on the weather conditions and predictions
- An LED flashlight; we recommend one in every room of your home being prepared in case of emergencies.
- A First Aid Kit with the essentials needed to provide initial emergency care.
- Drinking water to last at least 3 days.
- Non-perishable, ready to eat foods and a can opener.
- Pet items (food, blankets, leash, water)
- Towels, toilet paper, bathroom and sanitary items.
- A copy of insurance documents,
- Blankets and sleeping gear.
- A list of phone numbers and addresses of local emergency services, shelters, physicians, family and friends.
Make sure your entire household knows where the Safety Kit is going to be placed so that it can be easily accessed in the event of an emergency.
Should your home suffer storm damages, know that SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is available to help you through it during any weather conditions. We are a 24 hour, emergency service, full service restoration company that is locally owned and operated. Make sure to put us on your emergency contact list in a storm event!
"Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Tips for After the Storm
Personal Safety comes first!
Unfortunately the problems that come with a Storm Emergency event are not over when the storm has passed through. There are still dangers and emergencies immediately following the storm that require safety precautions.
SERVPRO of Chico-Lake Almanor has generated a list of how to stay safe after the storm.
1) Stay away from fallen or damaged powerlines and encourage others to do the same.
**Be alert to the possibility that tree limbs or debris could be hiding an electrical hazard. Treat all fallen power lines as being energized and dangerous. The same goes for the materials around these power lines. Treat any debris, branches, or items around a fallen power line as being a hazard. Avoid at all cost.**
2) Make sure to have a proper Storm Safety Kit on hand with the essentials.
**It cannot be predicted how long you may be trapped in a certain building or situation. It is important to have the needed essentials in your safety kit. **
(Take a look at our previous blog post for Safety Kit Tips!!)
3) Stay inside and dress in warm layered clothing to avoid illness.
**Roads may be flooded or blocked so emergency personnel may not be able to respond to you right away. Stay safe and take care of yourself**
4) Stuff towels and rags underneath doors to keep the heat inside.
5) Only use a generator if you are aware on how to use it safely.
**After a power outage, the power can be returned in spokes. Keep yourself and your electronics safe by keeping them unplugged. Leave one light on to indicate that power has been restored and then slowly turn on your other appliances one at a time.**
Storms are not uncommon for this area so these safety tips are useful to everyone! Not just homeowners and business owners.
Should your home be affected by storm damages know that SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is here to help day or night. We are a 24 hour, Emergency Service, Full Service Restoration company ready to help you.
"Like it never even happened."
When is the Right Time to Get Your Commercial HVAC Vent Cleaned?
Don't let your customers breathe this in. Call SERVPRO!
As you crank us the air conditioning to chase away the heat in your commercial building, have you ever considered what it is you are breathing in? If it has been a while since your HVAC system has been cleaned, you could be breathing in those dust particles and allergens every time the unit is on. The best way to avoid excess dust and allergens is by getting an annual HVAC cleaning. The largest benefit to getting your HVAC system cleaned is that most of the allergy-aggravating contaminants will be removed from the system. This will lead to better health and having your unit operate more efficiently.
So how can you tell when it is time to get those HVAC vents cleaned?
- If there is visible mold inside the ducts or around the vent
- Ducts infested with rodents or insects
- ducts that are clogged with an excessive amount of dust or debris
- Visible particles are released from the registers when the system is turned on
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor staff are trained on the most updated techniques for getting your HVAC system good as new. We went you to feel comfortable turning on your HVAC unit without the fear of what it is you are breathing in.
Call us today for an inspection
SERVPRO's Emergency Water Damage Process
SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor is a 24 hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, emergency service company!
Going through a water damage alone can be extremely difficult. But you are not alone, you're got the SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor team on your side helping you through every step of the water damage process.
The SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor office staff will keep you updated and aware of all that is happening during your project. Here is the basic SERVPRO process overview.
- One Hour: within one hour from notice of loss a SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor team member will contact you to arrange for service. You'll know help is on the way!
- Four Hours: within four hours of loss notification a SERVPRO professional will be onsite to start emergency services. The key to reducing damage and saving money is by responding quickly to the damage.
- Detailed Explanation: our trained SERVPRO professional will walk you through the job process, step-by-step, explaining what to expect and the anticipated outcome.
- Pretesting: the SERVPRO professional will begin pretesting for restorability, working from the source of the damage outward.
- Eight Hours:within 8 hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing will be communicated to the appropriate person, usually your adjuster or property manager.
- Cleaning and Restoration: SERVPRO professionals will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your home when a damaging event has taken over. We will use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure your property is taken care of right, the first time.
- Final Walkthrough: after the work has been completed, a final walkthrough of the work completed with be done with you to ensure your satisfaction of the work that was completed.
Our Emergency Process will help to get the work started immediately. Call us now to get started.
Fire Safety: An Emergency Escape Plan
Fire damage does not only damage your home but also your comfort in your home. Trust SERVPRO to restore that comfort for you.
During a fire emergency it is important to make sure you and your family get out safely and quickly. The best way to be prepared for this emergency is to have a, well practiced, emergency evacuation plan. Not only is this plan essential in the home but also in the work place as well.
Here are a few ideas to help make the best emergency escape plan that works for you.
1) Sit down with your family, or employees, and draw a map of each level in your home or business. Make sure to include all doors and windows in your sketch. Find at least two ways to safely get out of the room in the event of a fire damage.
2) Consider purchasing and utilizing escape ladders for sleeping areas on multiple floors of your home. Only make purchases that have been evaluated and approved.
3) Choose a safe meeting place for once you are out of the home that is far away enough to still be able to see the building but to be out of harms way. Make sure everyone in the building is aware of this location.
4) Teach your children on how to escape on their own in case you are not able to get them out. Also make sure you have a plan in place for those who have a disability.
5) Practice,Practice, Practice! Both at night and during the day as emergencies cannot be predicted.
By following these recommendations, you are making a commitment to yourself and your family that you will do everything in your power to be safe!
Do you have questions about fire damage or smoke damage? Call SERVPRO of Chico/Lake Almanor today. (530)899-9141.